Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Monday, November 21, 2005

Music: U2 in Atlanta


November 19, 2005

We joined 30,000 plus at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, GA on Sat. night. Opening the show was Gavin Rossdale's new band Institute. They brought lots of energy w/ thick power chords, and empty lyric. I was bored after about 3 tunes. Their set's highlights were the 2 Bush hit covers from the 90's.

U2 took and rocked the stage from 9pm-11:30pm. An amazing evening all in all. We have probebly all heard of other Vertigo Tour 05 concert goers say that "it was one of the most powerful worship experiences that they have seen or felt". I won't dismiss those people, but this was not my opinion on this night in Georgia. We were just a part of an awesome rock show from one of the world's best bands. "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Bullet The Blue Sky" were a couple of my favorite moments.

There were many things that stand out from a 2 1/2 hour show of U2, but the one that I can't escape is this...Bono commands a stage with more grace, respect, and authority than anyone that I have ever seen in person.

One fun note for my friend Mark....Third Day got a shout out from Bono towards the end of the evening.

Last night we got back in town just in time to see Bono's interview on ABC's 60 Minutes. Sweet action. “It's only rock and roll where people are burned out at 40. I want to see what can happen with a band if they keep their integrity, keep their commitment to each other, and can we create extraordinary music,” says Bono, speaking to 60 Minutes while on tour in Milan, Italy this past summer. For more on the interview go HERE.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Atlanta show Sat. night and it was spectacular. The lights, the sound, the visuals. Bono put on a great show. He rocked Sunday Bloody Sunday and Beautiful Day. I would've like a third encore, but then again, who wouldn't? I read a blog of a concert goer at Madison Square Gardens that bashed this tour and I wholeheartedly disagree. This tour was powerful, spirited, and full of energy. An unforgettable experience.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Todd Wright said...

Caught U2 in Dallas in late October. They pulled a kid onstage to play "Angel of Harlem." It was unbelievable. At the end of the song, he and Bono traded sunglasses.

"City of Blinding Lights" as an opener was amazing. "Love and Peace or Else" also took on a whole new dimension for me after hearing it live.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw U2 in cleveland back on the Joshua Tree tour in 87 (i think). it was a great show. haven't seen them since though. i was in Atlanta the same weekend and the closest i got to hearing them was on Dave FM. they had an all U2 weekend playing. not the same as the real thing. wish i could have been there. peace CJ.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jay Love said...

I was also at the Atlanta show on Saturday night and it was awesome. I was in the rear stage upper level section. Great concert. "City Of Blinding Lights" was a great opening...just beautiful, that opening riff and the imagery. I enjoyed every single song. I saw "Miss Sarajevo" in a whole new light and really understood the song for the first time. I also loved the ending when Bono was repeating with the audience "you got the power" or something like that...what exactly did he say? I would've really enjoyed a third encore, too, but it's all good. I'm just very happy that we got two! I also sat next to some really cool people in my section...if any of you are reading this, I would really love to keep in touch with you guys. I'm Jamie. I sat in Row M 8.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home