Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Monday, March 13, 2006

BOOKS: The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne


This is one of my new reads. The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne is an honest fresh look at someone doing things a different way b/c his old way wasn't working.

Read this below to see how his journey kind of got started.

Spiritual Bulimia

"So as we do in our culture, I thought perhaps I needed to buy more stuff, Christian stuff. Luckily, I found an entire Christian industrial complex ready to help with Christian music, bumper stickers, T-shirts, books, and even candy ("Testa-mints"). They had lists of bands and the Christian alternatives to them, so I rid of all my old CD's. And I bought books, devotionals, T-shirts. I developed a common illness that haunts Western Christianity. I call it spiritual bulimia. Bulimia, of course, is a tragic eating disorder, largely linked to idenitity and image, where folks consume large amounts of food but vomit it up before it has a chance to digest. I developed the spiritual form of it where I did my devotions, read all the new Christian books and saw the Christian movies, and then vomited information up to friends, small groups, and pastors. But it never had the chance to digest. I had gorged myself on all the products of the industrial complex but was spiritually starving to death. I was marked by an overconsumptive but malnourished spirituality, suffocated by Christianity but thirsty for God."

An exert from The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne.

The Simple Way (play the video if you want to be blessed)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, great note about Shane's book. Quick note: _The Simple Way Community_ wouldn't necessarily be called a church (although they're working hard to "do church" differently. The Simple Way Community is normally how it's all described. Sorry for the semantics, just wanted to make sure you were aware.
Best.
(feel free to delete this comment, as it's just a technical note to the author)

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also heard great things about this book. I like how this guy came from the south, and found freedom from religion.

Nice

SP

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man,

I have this book, but I haven't read it yet. Notice the similarity between the cover and the placards we made at church. Hmmm. I'll be interested to start it.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home