Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I'll Drink To That

The drink has been a bit taboo for the lovely "Bible Belt" for...well EST the "Bible Belt". I have been in Nashville for 7 years now, and from what I have seen, Nashvegas seems to be a possible exception to the "rule".

Sometimes it seems to be more of a denominational thing, but for the most part, the Baptists I know are pretty wet Baptists if you know what I mean. I grew up in Ohio and have been trying to clue in a bit since the move to Tennessee, with Ohio being cool with the drink and all. My travels have taken me everywhere in the states. The south can be a very "tricky" and hypocritical place.

The emerging church has begun a new "old" way of doing things. Many people meet and even have church in local pubs. The bible is pretty clear on not getting drunk on wine ("but be filled with the spirit"), and is also pretty clear about drinking alcohol. There is no where in scripture that states that drinking is a sin.

It seems that I am still learning about the culture in which I reside. I love it, but I hate it. Are there not bigger things that we should address? Like what we don't do that we should do?

Loving God and Loving People (as ourselves). Easier said than done?....... Yes.

5 Comments:

Blogger supersimbo said...

amen brother jarnagin!!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Old church - having a drink could get you kicked out of ministry. New church - enjoyed a lovely chardonnay with the senior pastor at our last staff christmas party...

10:02 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

wow. . the 'drinking issue' . . i was born into the Salvation Army 'church'. . drinking is a HUGE 'no no'. . senior members of the S.A. sign pledges that they will not drink alcohol, smoke, gamble, swear, read or view anything harmful to the spirit, soul or body, etc. I do think that these rules are S.A. rules and i also do not see it anywhere mentioned in the Bible that people must not drink alcohol, except for the Levites and some prophets. .

But. . because i was raised that way, i am not a drinker. . i'm simply not used to it and i don't want to do it. I have no problem with others who do.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfectly said! More people should read the text that they claim to believe.

9:13 PM  
Blogger learningtowrite said...

Outstanding post. Spawned a post of my own. Very, very well said.

Found you via Mark Lee, so hat tip to him.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home